Food & Drink

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why are Italians so fussy about food?

In italy I ate all italian food


and ok, i know english food isn't the best, but really....





my exchange partner didn't like a danish pastry, nor any of the buns, fruit, yogurt on offer at the table at breakfast. In the end she ate dried rice crispies which she insisted on putting in the froth of her cappuccino





she looked at the gingerbread man and decided she didn't like it,


didn't like strawberry and banana innocent smoothie, I heard 'che schifo', -it sucks





indian meal was a no go, apart from the italian tasting dal mahkani (mild and creamy lentil mush), liked the sticky toffee pudding





in the end wanting sugar on buttered toast for breakfast





apparently everyone else said their partners didn't eat any of the roast dinner they gave them, turned down nutella on toast, pain au chocolats, cereal, fry ups, most sandwiches unless they only had in them cheese or ham and salad





ok i know italian food is good, but when in italy we all tried to at least be polite and eat lesser normal things, like biscuits for breakfast (not abnormal for me but i know strange for other people)





why so fussy? hehe, curious



"De gustibus non est disputandum" used to say the romans (do not discuss about personal taste).


Italian recipes have been elaborated during centuries and the great variety of vegetables, fish, cheese, fruits made "Italian cuisine" very rich and enjoyable. When I travel in the Mediterranean area I found always recipes I like ; I have some problems with "new cuisine" made in countries where new products, coming mainly from southern areas, are treated in a different way. (ex. Pizza, which is a mediterranean bread seasoned with olive oil, garlic and oregano, to which was added fresh tomato, becomes in Finland a kind of kake topped with whatever you have in the fridge, one layer of cheese, one of pressed meat, one of shrimps, then tomato ketchup, fake grated Parmesan and God only knows what else! In this case I refused saying I was on a diet )


don't be surprised, anyway, if someone says "che schifo" ..it's the new generation who is "merendine and nutella-addict "!




Italians are definitely picky about their food. But it's not just foreign food. Every region in Italy has their own local cuisine, and Italians will often even refuse to eat food from other regions within Italy other than their local cuisine.





They're missing out I think. Their loss.




Judging by the Italian chefs we keep seeing on TV, I sometimes wonder if they EVER do/did anything EXCEPT pasta dishes and tiramisu - and I don't recall EVER seeing an Italian cook book anywhere (although I'm sure someone will now come up with at least a dozen titles for me!).




It helps if you keep in mind that ALL THINGS Italian are sublime. Their culture is Western culture developed to its highest level. All roads still lead to Rome, either directly or indirectly.





Amore per tutti




Simple. They're spoiled for choice.





However, I do feel that they could be missing out on a whole world of other tastes.




OK My mom was Italian and my dad was Scottish. My sister and I ate what was put in front of us! Bottom line. If we fussed, we went without! That's just how things were. I'm glad because it opened up a world of wonderful tasting foods. Maybe the fact my mom loved to cook had something to do with it. She loved to try new recipes regardless of where they came from!





Yes, Italians are fussy. But what you describe is an embarrassment to an Italian. Italians are hospitable to a fault and would never think of insulting their host! I am shocked! I really am. Those students acted very badly. I apologize! (My Italian grandparents are turning in their graves at this.)





EDIT: I just wanted to explain fussy. We are fussy because we enjoy good food. We are fussy because we enjoy good wine. That is an acceptable form of fussy. What was displayed to you was rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment